Use the static legacy software that they access from their computer or move to the cloud where they can access their documents from any device online.
Is Microsoft Office 2019 or Office 365 the best option for your business?
We’ll go through the pros and cons of each below and do a price comparison to give you the data you need to make an informed decision.
Office 365 vs Microsoft Office 2019
While some business owners like the collaborative features of Office 365, others prefer purchasing a software once and owning it, rather than paying a monthly subscription.
Both versions have their plusses and minuses, let’s take a look at each version first and what comes with it, then we’ll get into a pro and con comparison.
Office 365 Programs & Pricing
Office 365 gives you the ability to access your documents from your hard drive or the cloud and share them across multiple devices. It’s designed for team collaboration and sharing and integrates additional collaboration tools beyond just the Office suite.
Programs included are:
- Publisher (PC only)
- Access (PC only)
- OneDrive (including 1TB of storage per user)
- Exchange (Premium)
- SharePoint (Premium)
- Teams (Premium)
Pricing for Office 365:
- Office 365 Business Apps: $8.25/user/month (annual commitment)
- Office 365 Business Premium: $12.50/user/month (annual commitment)
Microsoft Office 2019 Programs & Pricing
For those that prefer the classic versions of their non-cloud enabled programs, Office 2019 offers the old standards that people are familiar with for a one-time purchase.
Programs included are:
Pricing for Office 2019:
- Office Home & Business 2019: $249.99
Program Value Comparison
When looking at the costs of ownership, we’ll assume a 30-person office and compare costs over the first year and then over 4 years. Generally, after a newly updated version comes out companies aren’t going to want to continue using the same older version and will end up upgrading within a few years. So, if you’ve made a one-time purchase, that means you’ll need to make it again.
- Office 365 cost for 30 people in year 1: $2,970.00
- Microsoft Office 2019 cost for 30 people in year 1: $7,499.70
- Office 365 cost for 30 people over 4 years: $11,880
- Microsoft Office 2019 cost for 30 people over 4 years: $7,499.70
So, you can see that initially Office 365 is a bargain, but the longer you keep Office 2019 without upgrading the lower the cost of ownership becomes in comparison.
Office 365 Value
- Each user can install their software on 5 PCs/Macs, 5 tablets & 5 mobile devices
- You can add or delete users at any time and pay only for what you use
- You gain OneDrive for cloud storage, sharing, and backup for no extra cost
- Your Office programs are never outdated, you always get the latest version
- Over time, the monthly subscription cost is higher than the cost of a one-time purchase
Microsoft Office 2019 Value
- You own the software, no subscription
- Cost of ownership begins to be less than Office 365 near year 3
- You can only install the software on one device, so if you do work from home and office, you’ll need to purchase another copy
- If you downsize, you already own the software (no scalability)
- If you use cloud storage, you have to pay separately for it
Office 365 Security
- Office 365 is always kept up to date and Microsoft servers are secure, this makes it the better option for those needing to comply with HIPAA or PCI
- Meets key international, regional, and industry-specific standards
- Control who has access by use of custom permissions and password policies
- You’re partially reliant on the cloud service (the software can be used online or offline)
Microsoft Office 2019 Security
- The program is housed only on your computer, so you have complete control of it
- The software can get outdated and doesn’t receive the same continuous updates as Office 365
- You don’t have the same type of access control
Office 365 Mobility
- You can access all your Office programs from any device, from anywhere
- It’s designed for real-time team collaboration, encouraging communication
- All applications are designed for both desktop and mobile use
Microsoft Office 2019 Mobility
- None, it’s not for cloud use
- No mobility, you can’t collaborate or use the cloud for file sharing or storage from the program
So, what’s the verdict in this Office 365 vs Office 2019 match up?
When you look at the additional devices you can use your Office programs with, the cloud storage capability, the advanced security features, and the mobile compatibility, Office 365 comes out ahead as the option that offers the most value by far between the two.
Looking for Great Cloud Solutions?
RCOR can help you transform your office from static to completely connected through the use of great cloud solutions like Office 365. Contact us today and let’s talk about your tech!
Call us at 919-263-5570 or reach us online.